Saturday, April 28, 2007

Edward R. Murrow



April 25th was his birthday. One of the giants of early journalism and sadly ignored by most of the broadcasters over the years.
Some quotes:

* About television: "This instrument can teach, it can illuminate; yes, and it can even inspire, but it can do so only to the extent that humans are determined to use it to those ends. Otherwise it is merely wires and lights in a box." – RTNDA Convention Speech, October 15, 1958
* "No one can terrorize a whole nation, unless we are all his accomplices." – Speech to staff, March 9, 1954
* "If we confuse dissent with disloyalty — if we deny the right of the individual to be wrong, unpopular, eccentric or unorthodox — if we deny the essence of racial equality, then hundreds of millions in Asia and Africa who are shopping about for a new allegiance will conclude that we are concerned to defend a myth and our present privileged status. Every act that denies or limits the freedom of the individual in this country costs us the. . . confidence of men and women who aspire to that freedom and independence of which we speak and for which our ancestors fought." – Ford Fiftieth Anniversary Show, CBS and NBC, June 1953, "Conclusion." Murrow: His Life and Times, A.M. Sperber, Freundlich Books, 1986
* "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
* "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason if we dig deep in our history and doctrine and remember that we are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes which were for the moment unpopular. We can deny our heritage and our history, but we cannot escape responsibility for the result. There is no way for a citizen of the Republic to abdicate his responsibility." - From the March 9, 1954, "See It Now" television broadcast on Senator Joe McCarthy.
* "A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves."
* "This is London."
* "This I believe." (name of a radio program hosted by Murrow from 1951 to 1955.)
* "Good night, and good luck."

1 comment:

Doc Savageland said...

Theodore Sturgeon wrote that 90% of everything is crap. Murrow was obviously the other 10%. Too bad we can't breed more people like him to weed out the idiots.

By the way I have to say I hate your pop-up comment windows.